Saturday, January 07, 2006

El Dia de los Reyes

Yesterday was my first Mexican holiday! This day marks the coming of the wise men in the traditional Christams story. It also represents the end of the Christmas season, and time to take down all the decorations until next year. This picture is of a street in Puebla- a last glimpse of the Christmas spirit.

On the "Day of the Kings," the children recieve toys and sweets. Early in the morning, children line up in the park to recieve their gifts.

The stores sell "Las Roscas de Reyes," a traditional sweet bread or cake with a small plastic baby hidden inside. Whoever finds the baby must buy the tamales for a fiesta in February.

This is my "cousin" who came to visit for El Dia de Los Reyes. Isn't he precious?

My family bought a "Rosca de los Reyes" for us to share.

And guess who found the baby?? I did!

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yay!! I love your pictures! And congrats on finding the baby... although I have to admit that in the future, I'll need a further explanation. :) Love you and thanks for keeping ups posted!! :)

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home